Spurs are accumulated calcium deposits on the bones of the heel or anywhere on the foot (you can get bone spurs on almost any bones including the spine but that is another topic which will not be discussed). They can be very painful and will sometimes need to address with surgical intervention to scrape the spur. However, prior to needing surgery, a conservative approach is often tried.
The treatment is like many others that the goal is trying to decrease the pain and inflammation.
1. Start with ice 10-15 minutes for ice or cold pack on the arch. If you can’t tolerate the cold use a cooling cream such as Sombra cooling gel.
2. You can use either the MedMassager foot unit or the body unit. If you are fortunate enough to have both, you can use both in succession as they both have a unique therapeutic effect.
3. Prior to using the MedMassager foot unit or the body unit, I prefer to use soothing therapeutic oils such as lavender or vanilla.
4. Begin using the MedMassager foot massager on a low setting for the first minute or two. Then slowly bring up the speed to the most comfortable setting or where it feels the best to you. Use the massager over the general area that is hurting for 5-10 minutes.
5. Use the MedMassager body unit if the painful area is at the Achilles tendon area which can be used the usual ways of holding the handles or you can turn the unit upside down and place your heel on the pad.
This can be done for 5-10 minutes or to your comfort.